March 31, 2013 by kmwelden
I abandoned you for the weekend, my loyal blog readers. Was it too early in our relationship for me to disappear? Well, deSPAIR not; you can stop refreshing your browsers every three seconds now.
I went on a weekend trip with my mother to visit my sister in Athens, Georgia. She is too busy being a serious (?) law student at UGA to come home for Easter, so we just had to come to her (Overheard over the weekend: “Georgia Law is like, the most alcoholic institution in the country”). Plus, I love Athens, and I’m abandoning my fabulous sister soon for the West, so it’s not like there was too much convincing involved.
If Athens was a person, it would be the ultra-cool, intelligent, simultaneously intimidating and welcoming hot stranger… who also has some alcoholic tendencies. Okay, that analogy makes zero sense, but it’s the best I can do right now. Basically, it’s just a really neat place. There are a ton of bars/restaurants/cute little vintage stores/bookstores that make you feel like you could duck in and out of places forever… which I did.
Some of the highlights from my trip:
- I dragged the family on a vintage clothing hunt. My favorite places were Dynamite Clothing and Community, which are just two doors down from one another. Dynamite Clothing, I might add, doesn’t open until 12:30 PM everyday. Which to me, is the MOST logical time to open a store. Ain’t nobody need a dress at 10 o clock in the morning. So I automatically was a fan. I was not nearly cool enough to feel entirely comfortable in Community, but in I went and debated buying a pair of fantastic overall shorts for about fifteen minutes before Caroline finally said enough is enough, “You can’t wear overalls in public, Kaitlyn.”
- Athens is super hip, so I of course had to get in the spirit and go into a record store. Here’s me at Wuxtry Records, looking hip as hell.
But in the interest of full disclosure, this picture came about because I said, “Hey, Caroline. Go over there and take a picture of me looking at these records, and make sure I look cool doing it.”
- There is a bar in Athens called 9d’s that plays exclusively 90’s music. It is as if someone said, “Kaitlyn, what’s your idea of a perfect bar?” That’s 9d’s. Unfortunately, we arrived with only enough time for three songs… and I’m not actually sure what they were, but I promise you I made it count. No one knows me in Athens, and you can never underestimate the power that comes with being anonymous. Personally, I just use it to be as embarrassing and out-of-control as possible (Sorry, Caroline). Regardless, 9d’s is awesome, and if you’re ever in Athens and don’t go…. well, you are just no friend of mine and we have nothing in common.
- I spent time with my family, and this is the nicest weekend I can remember us spending together in a long time. The three of us girls can spend a lot of time screaming at each other, but this weekend was blissfully free of gripes. And for that… I’m always thankful.
- Finally, not Athens related, but it’s my girlfriend brag for the day. Andrew surprised me and went to Petsmart this weekend and got Edmund a new tag for his collar… and guess who the second number on the back is for?! Official stepmom, y’all. Happy as a bird with a french fry.
It was a great weekend, and I wrapped it up tonight with a date with my best friend/roommate at my favorite pizza place in all of Charleston, Andolini’s. Now I’m laying beside her in bed and life is good… and now I’m going to stop being antisocial and watch Megamind.
I hope your Easters/weekends were just as nice. We will chat more tomorrow.